Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 5: No Going Back Review

       Due to the month-long break from playing video games I took to work on my Dropzone Commander miniatures, I missed out on playing episode 4 and 5 of The Walking Dead Season 2 when they first came out. So I actually just played them in a row, one a night for two nights. It's a little weird since I played the other episodes a month or 2 apart. I loved playing episodically, but finishing off with two in a row worked out pretty well. I just finished writing my episode 4 review last night, so this one might reference that a bit.
      Like for starters, Episode 5 ran much, much, much better than the mess that was Episode 4's technical side. In fact, this might be the best running episode of the season, although it still wasn't perfect. There were a few instances of animation stutter and freezing at the beginning of a scene, but that was it. I felt like the graphics really shined in this episode too. The lighting work on people's faces was especially great looking, and a few of the special effects used this time were a bit more impressive than past episodes.
       As for the story, well, another Season is wrapped up, and I am certainly feeling some feels. I don't know if I made the right decisions. How many games leave you with that feeling? This season is not as good as the first, but it is certainly head and shoulders above most video game storytelling. It continues the first season quite well. Wow, it's great stuff.
       Despite my constant griping about the technical problems plaguing this Season (which will continue until they are fixed), I greatly, greatly enjoyed the second season of The Walking Dead, and the last episode is fittingly enjoyable. It raised the story back up to the level of the first two episodes of the season. I hear that season 3 is in the works, and I will definitely play it. Hopefully it can keep this good thing going without losing the magic, and hopefully attain a perfect score by fixing the technical problems. Episode 5 is a great game tier 2, and the season as a whole is as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment