Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC review

Note: This review contains the mildest of spoilers for the main of The Last of Us.
       I played Left Behind on grounded mode, which you can do if you have purchased grounded mode. It was a lot of fun that way. The final encounter is really epic and took me 15 + tries to complete. When I finally beat it, I felt like such a baller. That's the great thing about super hard modes. Many of the times I failed this scenario were also lots of fun as I tried to adapt when I made a mistake. Sometimes I would make it really far doing really risky stuff. But then, of course, somebody would take me down... It's funny, I found a lot of materials on my playthrough, but never enough to make anything. Then when I played some sections on easy to get trophies, there was stuff everywhere. That's grounded mode for ya.... Anyway....
       Left Behind is a short DLC chapter for The Last of Us. It took me about 3-5 hours on grounded mode. It takes place in and around the events of TLOU. I'll try not to spoil exactly what's going on... You play as Ellie, so you'll be knifing people rather than choking them out or punching them. The action parts are great and tense, and put you in some very interesting combat situations that you don't see in the main game. Now that I've seen these scenarios, it's actually pretty weird that they aren't in the main game. They were a bit of a surprise to me, and I had a great feeling of the gears clicking in my mind when I saw what was going on, so I won't mention exactly what happens so you can hopefully get that feeling too.
       A big part of this DLC involves doing non-combat stuff. And those parts are really fun and really well written. Switching from playing as Clementine in The Walking Dead Season 2 straight back to Ellie is quite jarring and really emphasizes the drastic differences between these two characters that sound almost identical on paper. The story fills in a few interesting blanks, and doesn't feel tacked on at all, especially if you play it some time after playing TLOU proper (although a few of the artifacts you find are kind of dumb, or at least placed in weird places. Some are cool though). I imagine it probably does seem tacked on if you were to play it immediately after beating TLOU. Then again, maybe not, since the ending of TLOU pretty directly leads into some of what you'll experience in Left Behind.
       Left Behind is a great game, tier 2, just like TLOU.




No comments:

Post a Comment