Thursday, June 20, 2013

Earthworm Jim HD Review (PS3)

      I was not planning on buying Earthworm Jim HD. It's a cool idea, but I'm not big on replaying games that I've already played a lot of, and I played a lot of Earthworm Jim back in my Sega Genesis days. But then I saw it on sale for $.99 and I thought I would quickly play through it one more time for the fun of it.
     Earthworm Jim is a classic platformer from back in the day. The characters and stuff were designed by Doug Tennapel, who also does a lot of art for my favorite band of all time, Five Iron Frenzy. He also does a lot of his own comics and stuff. It's pretty darn goofy. You play as an earthworm inside a suit of high-tech armor, and it just gets weirder from there. There's giant hamsters, an evil cat that rules a hellish planet, an evil crow that is after you, a bungie-jumping fight against a snot man, a chicken in a robot walker, and a dude who barfs fish at you, just to give you a small sampling of the game's weird inhabitants.
     All these characters and locales look amazing. Sprites age pretty gracefully in general, but all these sprites have been redone in high definition. They look terrific. In general, I like the look of old sprites a lot, but I would love to see more new games use these types of HD sprites. They look awesome and have smooth, beautiful animation.
     In case you've never played it before, EWJ is hard. I have no idea how I was able to beat it as a kid. Playing hard games like this is what has made me the gamer I am today. What torture this must have been for me as a kid. It's like my version of the Cruel Tutelage Master Pai Mei. While replaying this version (on the classic difficulty of course, although there are easier difficulties to pick from) I blazed through the first handful of levels, thinking to myself how easy they were and how stupid I must have been as a kid. But as I got into the later levels, I realized that I just had those early ones memorized from back in the day and that the difficulty ramps up steadily. The later levels get quite difficult.
     In fact, I had to use the level select feature to finish the game, which was disappointing. I hadn't really signed on for a hardcore re-living of my childhood before saving was common, so I was glad to get to see all the levels and characters in HD since you can choose to start at the beginning of any level you have reached in this version. I had almost forgotten about Professor Monkey for a Head, and his partner, Monkey Professor for a Head
     The trophies in this game are hardcore. There's one for beating the game on one life on original difficulty, and one for beating the game in under 50 minutes. Both are crazy hard, and I have no interest in trying to earn them. I wish there was one for beating the game without continuing or in one sitting without level select. That would be very challenging yet doable, and would re-create my experience on the Genesis.
     The controls are: move with the d-pad or analog stick, jump with cross, whip (as in pull the worm that is you out of your suit and use it as a whip on enemies or to swing from hooks) with circle, and shoot your gun with either R2 or square. You can use R1 to switch between the rare plasma shot and your regular rapid-fire gun (I don't think you could do this in the Genesis version, but I could be wrong). You can also hold cross to rotate your head and glide down slowly like a helicopter.
     Gameplay consists of running around going up and down as well as left and right through big levels, shooting and whipping enemies while finding ammo and health, and going through obstacles. There's a pretty big variety of obstacles and enemies. You will be dodging falling stalactites in one stage and then avoiding nigh-invincible muscle-bound cats in another. Then you'll be carried through a cage and have cells (or something) launched at you from all directions or drive a submarine through rocky caverns with a limited supply of air. There are pretty cool boss fights too. I love the fight with Bob the Killer Goldfish, and the fight with Evil the Cat. I won't spoil either here, but both are really clever. There's also a fight with a snowman, a transforming junk monster, and of course, the final encounter with the evil Queen Pulsating Bloated Festering Sweaty Pus-filled Malformed Slug for a Butt, whose caterpillar-butt is so big, it is part of the last level and a boss encounter unto itself.
     There are also some non-standard levels. Quite a few times you will race Psy-Crow through space on your trusty pocket rocket, collecting power-ups to go faster and dodging asteroids to stay ahead of him. Loosing means fighting him in a mini boss battle. There's also the aforementioned bungie-jump battle against the snot guy. And the classic level where you have to protect your friend Peter Puppy (or he will transform and viciously attack you). It's quite fun. You'll being doing a million different things in EWJ. Kind of reminds me of Jak 3 actually.
     Something has changed about the sounds or music or voices in this version. I can't place it now that I've played this version so much, but it was very noticeable when I first fired it up and played for awhile. I can see why they might have wanted to re-do some sounds since they were re-doing the graphics, but it's a little jarring and I think they should have left the sound alone. Although, like I said, after playing for awhile I no longer notice.
     There is also some new stuff, like multi-player co-op challenge levels, which I didn't try out. There's also online leaderboards for how fast levels are completed. There are also three new levels, which make me think it would have been cool if this team had just made a new game instead of an HD remake. These levels are pretty fun, and have interesting bosses. The final boss, however is insanely hard. I'm ashamed to say I didn't stick with it long enough to beat this final boss in the bonus levels. I'm going to say it's cause I didn't want to play this game for a long time like I said early and hope that you can forgive me. Also, you will recognize who this boss is. Tantalizing, huh?
      Earthworm Jim is a total classic, and it holds up well. If you've never played it, this is a fine version to play, although the old sprites are awesome too if you can find a Genesis or SNES laying around. This version has level select if you're feeling cheap, but also has super-hardcore trophies if you're feeling tough. For me, it was purely a novelty to re-play all the levels in HD. I enjoyed running through it quickly to see everything again and to see the new sprites, but I didn't stay long. I'm going to give this version great game, tier 2. Just know going in that this isn't a modern game at all, and play either to have fun and see the sights using level select, or try for those tough trophies if you're feeling really old school.


No comments:

Post a Comment