Saturday, June 15, 2013

Closure vs. Where is My Heart?

      I want to write a brief comparison of the gameplay in Closure to that of Where is My Heart? If you don't know about the games' mechanics, this post will make no sense. Go read my reviews, or better yet, just go play them first! I think they are both excellent games, and although their story themes are quite different, the way they play is similar and complimentary. Both heavily involve perspective and reality.
     In Where is My Heart?, the level layout exists. You perceive it through the panels given to you in any given level. The arrangement of the panels does not affect the layout. You perception does not affect reality. You are kind of battling your own mind just to understand the layout of the levels.
     In Closure, the level has a layout, but it is manipulated by your perception. Only what you can see is reality. The layout of the level bends to your perception of it. Reality changes to match what you are seeing.
If Where is My Heart? Followed Closure's rules, you could rearrange the panels to change the layout of the level. If Closure followed Where is My Heart's? rules, you could walk around in the dark and run into objects you couldn't see, and the light would just be manipulated to help you see the level. Both would be totally different games if they switched rules like this. It would be very interesting to see. I'd would love it if the creators of both of these games got together and messed with the rules of each others' games, or made a new game (or games) exploring these ideas even further.

     I was going to throw in comparisons to Quantum Conundrum and The Unfinished Swan too, but I think keeping it to just these two favorites of mine makes it a more streamlined and interesting post. I just thought it was really neat how these two games both deal with perception and reality in regards to their gameplay. I played them relatively close together, and when I realized that they were almost opposites gameplay-wise it made me appreciate both of these great games even more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment